Saturday, January 5, 2013

Vacation Appreciation

Another school vacation is quickly winding down to a close.

What a great two weeks it has been with our girl.  I can truly say that I have enjoyed every single minute with her.  I was lucky to be able to spend the whole two weeks with her and considering when I go back to work next Tuesday, I will spend the next 9 days on a business trip, I am doubly thankful that we have had this time together.

We haven't done a lot of big stuff, but just spent a lot of time relaxing, fooling around and whatnot, Maya's had a few play dates but Leo and I decided not to do a lot of outings, because every kid in Holland is at every kid's place and the crowds are difficult and irritating.  We've opted instead for just hanging around, and enjoying being together.  I've always been a big believer that life's little moments are worth a lot, maybe even  more than the exotic vacations, the graduations, the school plays and other huge events in one's life.

Having a child with autism has made me gain a lot of appreciation for small moments, because big moments are tough, the blue ribbons and other outward praises and awards are fewer and farther between, vacations and outings are tough a lot of the time, they require precise navigation and precision.  All of these things and many more are reasons why I have put my faith in little moments, in those everyday wonders which bring a smile or a laugh.

We've had lots of them this vacation.  Here are just a few:

-Hearing Maya laugh her head off while watching the movie Home Alone for the first time.

-Having a great sleepover with her cousin P, a day and a half of playing together, laughing together and pure delight.

-Watching Maya get better and better at playing Mario Cart on her Nintendo DS.  While video games may sound like a weird thing to be grateful for, seeing Maya, with her fine motor skills challenges, go from not being able to figure out how to push two separate buttons with two different hands at the same time, to working all those buttons like a champion and moving from level to level has been a highlight.

-Lazy morning snuggling, tickling and jokes.

-How Maya, who had a friend over this afternoon drew a picture for her as a present.  It's wonderful to see her thinking about how to make a guest happy and think beyond only what she wants.  She still has a way to go in this area but I can see she is starting to make headway.

-The numerous times, while cooking Maya came in, grabbed my arm, kissed it and said, "mommy, your food is so delicious."

-The time I was watching It's a Wonderful Life and was crying, that Maya came to me and asked me if I wanted some love.

-Watching a slide show of all of Maya's baby pictures and her again asking me if Leo and I wanted a sweet girl.

-The bunch of times I walked past Maya's room when she was busy playing and without missing a beat, she would say, "h-e-e-e-e-e-eey mommy" in her singiest songy voice.

-The way she would ask me each morning if it was "already late" meaning could she wake up her dad.

-Hearing Leo and Maya giggle their heads off while watching Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes.

I am indeed a very blessed woman.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post. So uplifting and really heart warming. I get what you mean about the Nintendo DS! :)
    Taking life slow is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete